Monday, October 13, 2014

Around the Word Blog Hop

   When Ami messaged and asked me to participate, my only thought was "do I really want folks to see I haven't posted since December 2013?"  A real blogger I am not, nor do I pretend to be!  I began blogging in order to participate with the Linky Monday with Bonnie Hunter's Mystery each year.  Last year I learned that all you needed was a Flickr account and I had one of those that I used regularly.



      To catch up, this year has been busy.  I began the year with the death of my mother, my last parent.  As a caregiver for husband's parents and my parents, I was growing weary, but that job was over for the time being.  I dove into getting my long arm up and working properly.  It is a far sight better today than it has been for the five years I have owned it.  I have taken classes on the machine and computer work and demonstrated competency.  I have purchased a new and heavier frame.  I have upgraded all electronics through Dekk't Out Quilting Supply.  I have managed to quilt 5 tops on my equipment in addition to the 4 quilted on the HandiQuilter at Suzanne's Quilt Shop in Moultrie.  Three of those quilts appeared in and around the Jacksonville Quiltfest at the end of September.  One has since gone on to be used to raise funds for a local community.  I can't wait to hear how much it makes.



      Below are pictures of several of the items I have finished this year or at least have gotten to top stage.  I have also completed several puff quilts - which remain in demand by expectant mothers and grandmothers in my area.













Once the annual Quiltfest of Jacksonville came to a close, I began working on several other projects.  Let's try - Labor Day:
Then getting ready for a quilt retreat.... (70 of these)
 And now - a wedding gift...

You can keep an eye on my Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/41359794@N05/ or my FaceBook page https://www.facebook.com/mjontebeau/photos_albums to see all the projects that roll through my sewing room throughout the year.

     My work differs in that I have an ability to choose colors others would not put together and create beautiful quilts.  I quilt to relax and to express myself creatively.  After practicing law all day and being unable to participate in other activities due to injuries I sustained in a motorcycle accident, I must have an outlet!!  Quilting is it.
    
     I was asked to explain my creative process.  Somedays I work from patterns with different combinations of fabric, somedays I work from patterns with suggested colors and other days I just piece - Victoria Findlay Wolfe Style.

    I have tried to find others who would participate and have finally learned that Aileen will be next up.  Find her here:  http://quilting-alleycat.blogspot.com/2014/10/october-recovery-show-share.html.    Ami of http://enchantingquilts.blogspot.com/ and Misha of http://mishamichele.blogspot.com/brought me to this point. 

2 comments:

  1. The puff quilts are really cool. Why are they so popular? Do people sit on them or lay on them? Can you describe the process of how you make those maybe a tutorial sometime would be fun.

    Nice post and you have done lots of great quilts this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ami: They are great in the bottom of Pack and Play for the little ones to lay on. They are also great for tummy time. I have also been told by most recipients that laying their infant on the puffs means they are off to sleep very quickly or at least become quiet if fussy.

      Delete